Dr Fierce's Data Lair

2005-06-04

Game Consoles

Ok. I'm going to talk about this once and only once.

Then we're done. For Good.

I'm not even going to go back to the dark ages of home video consoles or even back to the generation or two after that, as these ages were not significantly any less dark.

I must admit, Atari tried to keep their platform alive with incremental improvements, but few remember those or even knew they existed.

If you ask most people what they consider "names" in the video console market, you'd get what I'd call the top four. You'd get (in no particular order): Nintendo. Sega, Sony and Microsoft.

Now don't you be asking what DrFierce thinks about all these consoles. He'll tell you he doesn't have any preference, to be quite honest, specially with all sorts of things that are readily available for free.

But I digress...

With Nintendo, there was the Nintendo Entertainment System (a.k.a., NES), followed by the Nintendo Super Nintendo Entertainment System (a.k.a., SNES), then the Nintendo 64, then the Nintendo GameCube and soon, there will be the Nintendo Compact Console.

With Sega, there was Sega Genesis followed by the Sega Saturn and then the Sega Dreamcast.

With Sony, there was the PlayStation (a.k.a., PS, PSX or PSOne), Sony PlayStation 2 (a.k.a., PS2, which comes also in a slim version) and soon there will be the Sony PlayStation 3 (a.k.a., PS3)

With Microsoft, there is the XBox and there will be the XBox 360.

But that's not all. Those are the consoles that make you stay at home and park your butt in front of the TV. If you're one of those outdoorsy, atheletic types, there are the handheld consoles.

With Nintendo, you had the Nintendo Game Boy, followed by the Nintendo Game Boy Color, then the Nintendo Game Boy Advance, the Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP and now you have the newly-released Nintendo DS (a.k.a., DS -- and Nintendo is supposedly disowning it being par of the Game Boy lineage) and for those who might've forgotten, there was the Nintendo Virtual Boy.

With Sony, well, you have the Sony PlayStation Portable (a.k.a., PSP). I don't have one. It's perhaps because I drool too much when I'm close to one.

With all those choices and all the commercials I being pummelled with, no wonder I wind up seeing consoles everywhere...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home